Water Quality Resources
VAHWQP Drinking Water Clinic Summary Infographics
- 2016 VAHWQP Annual Report
- 2015 VAHWQP Annual Report
- Albemarle County (PDF)
- Amelia County (PDF)
- Amherst County (PDF)
- Clarke County (PDF)
- Dinwiddie County (PDF)
- Eastern Shore (Accomac and Northampton) (PDF)
- Floyd County (PDF)
- Frederick County (PDF)
- Grayson County (PDF)
- Loudoun County (PDF)
- Page County (PDF)
- Prince William County (PDF)
- Shenandoah County (PDF)
- Spotsylvania County (PDF)
- Warren County (PDF)
Popular Press and Journal Articles
- FEATURED! Well Maintenance, Ground and Surface Water, and Well Drilling on Pulse of the Planet!
- Watch video about VAHWQP and VWON featured on Virginia Tech website
- New Human and Agricultural Biosciences Building (home of BSE Water Quality Lab) featured on NPR!
- Peer-reviewed journal articles relating to VAHWQP:
- Allevi, et al., 2013. Quantitative analysis of microbial contamination in private drinking water supply systems. Journal of Water and Health 11.2 pp 244-255. doi: 10.2166/wh.2013.152.
- Benham, et al., 2016. What's in your water? Development and Evaluation of the Virginia Household Water Quality Program and Virginia Master Well Owner Network. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension. Volume 4, Number 1. pp 123-138.
- Pieper, et al., 2015. Profiling Private Water Systems to Identify Patterns of Waterborne Lead Exposure. Environmental Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.5b03174
Environ. Sci. Technol. 2015, 49, 12697−12704.
- Pieper, et al., 2015. Incidence of waterborne lead in private drinking water systems in Virginia. Journal of Water and Health 13.3. pp 897-908. doi: 10.2166/wh.2015.275.
- Pieper et al. 2016. Quantifying lead leaching potential from plumbing exposed to aggressive waters. Journal-American Water Works Association 108 (9), E458-468.
- Pieper et al. 2016. Simultaneous Influence of Geology and System Design on Drinking Water Quality in Private Systems. Journal of Environmental Health 79 (2), E1-E9.
- Smith, et al., 2014. Associations between fecal indicator bacteria prevalence and demographic data in private water supplies in Virginia. Journal of Water and Health 12.4 pp 824-834. doi: 10.2166/wh.2014.026
Water Testing Links
- Virginia Certified Private Water Quality Lab Listing (updated August 9, 2016)
- Participating in a VAHWQP drinking water clinic? Sample collection video here!
Common Water Quality Issues
- Ten Tips for Managing Your Private Well Water Supply Brochure
- Household Water Treatment
- (New!) Indicators of Lead in Household Water
- Bacteria and Microorganisms in Household Water
- Hardness in Household Water
- Shock Chlorination: Disinfecting Private Household Water Supply Systems
- Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in Household Water
- Sulfate and Hydrogen Sulfide in Household Water
- Nitrate in Household Water
- Heavy Metals in Household Water
- Iron and Manganese in Household Water
- Fluoride in Household Water
- Sodium and Chloride in Household Water
- Corrosive Household Water
- Household Water Testing
- Interpreting Your Water Test Report
- Water Quality Problems: Causes and Treatments
- Questions to Ask When Purchasing Water Treatment Equipment
- Emergency Supplies of Water
- Helpful Shock Chlorination Video from Montana State University
- Managing Your Well During a Drought
- Sanitary Well Caps and Grouting
- Using a Low-yielding Well
- Radon in Household Water
Water Conservation and Rainwater Harvesting
- Virginia Rainwater Harvesting and Use Guidelines (Va Dept of Health)
- Household Water Conservation
- Water Conservation: How much water and money can you save?
- Rainwater Harvesting Systems - General
- Greywater Reuse
- Using Reclaimed Water
Springs and Cistern Resources
- Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project in Virginia (SERCAP) - promotes the development of affordable water and wastewater facilities, activities and resources to improve the quality of life for low income rural residents
- USDA Rural Development Programs - housing, emergency, and community development grants
- Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development Housing Preservation and Rehabilitation
Partners in Well Education
- Virginia Department of Health - Private Well Water Information
- Virginia Water Well Association
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Groundwater Protection
- EPA Private Wells
- National Sanitation Foundation- list of certified water treatment devices
- Water Quality Association
- United States Geological Survey – Virginia